SCRUB NINE, STAGING COME-BACK, WINS 7-6

By Smashing Out Three Hits in Ninth, Seconds Forge Ahead--St. John's Scores Come Early--Mason and Dickson Star for Crimson

With one out, and the score 6-3 against them, the Second Team staged a ninth inning rally that completely astounded their opponents, and, before another man was retired, drove in four runs for a 7-6 victory over St. John's Preparatory School yesterday afternoon. It was the most sensational come-back that has been seen on Soldiers Field this year, counting as it did two two-base hits and a home run. C. J. Mason '22 starred both in the field and at bat, making a beautiful one-handed stop of C. MacDonald's hot grounder that threatened in the sixth, and netting two hits, one of them the double that brought home the winning tally. S. B. Chase Jr. '21 played a steady game at shortstop, and J. C. Bancroft '23, although not fielding very accurately at first base, knocked out three hits. Dickson's home run in the ninth was the feature of the contest.

Seconds Fight Up-Hill Battle

The Scrubs made their most evident stand in the ninth, but it was really an up-hill fight for seven innings, and the last served only as a deserved culmination. The visitors started off with a rush, three men crossing the plate in the first. The initial shove was given them by J. C. Watson '23, when he walked the two first St. John batters. The schoolboys followed up their advantage, Sweeney and C. MacDonald both singled, scoring their team-mates, and Sweeney coming in on MacDonald's hit. O'Hayre was safe on an error, but the next three batters were retired in order.

St. John's other tallies came in the second. Glenn received a walk, advanced when Carroll reached first on an error, arrived at third when Watson passed C. MacDonald, and scored on O'Hayre's hit,--Carrol following suit directly after-wards. From then until the ninth the Seconds, with J. M. A. Blair '23 in the box, held their opponents runless. The Scrubs' moundsman allowed but two hits in these six innings.

Crimson Nine Gets Under Way

The Crimson players got one run in the second, one in the third, and one in the fourth. All of these came as direct results of hits, with almost all of the players featuring on the batting end at one time or another.

The ninth, however, was what counted. The seconds came in for the last time with their determination to hit heightened by the visitors just having pulled in their sixth run. J. C. Ross '23, the lead-off batter for the Seconds, flied out to catcher, but S. B. Chase '21 reached first when MacCurdy fumbled his stinging grounder. P. S. Dickson ocC. connected with one of the pitcher's faster balls and sent it on a dead line far into left center field, where it rolled many yards further, for an easy home run. K. B. Lucas '23 was hit by a pitched ball

and took his base, advancing to third when J. C. Bancroft '23 dropped a safe hit into short right for a double. C. J. Mason '22 scored both Lucas and Bancroft with a smashing grounder over third base, thus winning the game.

The batting orders follow:

University Seconds. 3b., J. C. Ross '23; s.s., S. B. Chase '21; c.f., P. S. Dickson ocC.; r.f., K. B. Lucase '22; 1b., J. C. Bancroft '23; 2b., C. J. Mason '22; l.f., R. T. Murphy '23; c., C. S. Stillman '21; p., J. C. Watson '23, J. M. A. Blair '23.

St. John's Preparatory School.--R.f., Callahan; 2b., Carrol; r.f., Sweeney; c., C. MacDonald; l.f., O'Hayre; s.s., Regan; 3b., MacCurdy; 1b., A. MacDonald; P., Glenn