HAVE YOU A PERSONALITY?

The Princetonian in volunteering an interesting series of editorials on the question of enrollment limitation, states that Princeton's aim is "not so much to turn out scholars as to mould men". For that reason it feels confident that "the majority of undergraduates, as well as a considerable section of the alumni, are absolutely opposed to any system of admission based solely on the record made in entrance examinations". Such a sentiment must of course result in a plea for the abandonment of scholarship as the fundamental test of entrance; personality is suggested instead.

Yet the plan outlined seems to lay primary stress on examination grades, for the Princetonian advocates a system whereby "all who pass the entrance examinations with an average grade of, say, 80 or 85', should be admitted without further examination, providing, of course, they are of good moral character." If enough scholars applied the enrollment limit might be reached but the fact is that most of us are too dull to enter so easily. Although the university's aim may be to mould men, under this plan the scholar is still given the place of honor.

For the rest, however, an examination would be given "by local alumni boards, especially sitting for the purpose, as to personality, leadership, and similar personal qualities." An applicant would secure a statement from his headmaster at school and be subject to an interview from the alumni board--all for the purpose of determining his personality. But just what this is or should be, just what type of person Princeton wants, must remain an uncertain thing. One sort might appeal to one board and not at all to another; or if a standard were hit upon, would not the applicants who passed be very much of the same type? How would the examiners determine exactly for what they were seeking? And we wonder whether it would be assumed by those whose "personality" gained them an entrance to college that those who had been admitted on the basis of scholarship had no personality. Perhaps there would be those who would feel so confident of their power to charm the admittance boards that they would consider studying for examinations a rather unnecessary detail.

If it does nothing else the attempts of the Princetonian to suggest a means of limiting enrollment, points clearly to the difficulties which Princeton is about to face. We hear a great deal these days about democracy in the colleges, about scholarship and extra-curriculum activities and about the value of college education. The method which Princeton adopts in limiting her enrollment will be of more than passing interest.