Bolsheviki

COMMENT

During the past College year, articles have appeared with rather monotonous regularity proclaiming that American Colleges are hotbeds of radicalism. As a matter of fact the student population of the present day does not concern itself enough with radical doings. With a large part of Europe in the hands of the extremists of socialism and parts of the rest of the world trembling (as the pessimists tell us) on the brink it would be indeed strange if Universities were not affected. Institutions of learning are supposedly the leaders of modern thought. If modern thought is tending toward radicalism, college men should certainly know what it is all about.

Certain men in different colleges have shown such inquisitive activity, and the result is literary explosions on the part of various moss backs the country over. These explosions are not only unnecessary but they are premature. If the college radical bodies are planning anarchy then something must be done. If they are meeting merely to discuss the various aspects of the radical movement they are only doing intelligent citizen's duty. If the great body of students shows total unconcern toward the whole question--as is nearer the true situation--colleges are, in fact, far from hot beds of radicalism, and stand in need of a few live coals to stir them up to a comprehension of the uncertain state of society. --Yale News.