FRESHMAN!

Freshman, are you looking for advice? No, you have enough thrust upon you without seeking it. We sympathize with you because the advice you have already received is as nothing to that which you have yet to absorb or reject. Nevertheless we have this to say.

Would you make the most of college? Would you conquer the "temptations" that grim visaged elders have warned you against? Would you make friends. Would you see "life"?

Then keep busy avoid idle ways as the plague and idle friends as your worst enemies. It does not matter what keeps you busy studies, athletics, competitions, self support, social service as long as it has some purpose.

If you follow this rule-if you are always busy-the trials of college need not concern you. You will not waste your opportunities; you will find that all the more are offered to you. Temptations will not trouble you because the busy man is impervious to them. You will make friends and they will be good friends; for common work is the greatest proving ground of friendship. You will see life because the only part of life worth seeing if found at work.

Freshman, what we have said is as useless as all advice. If you follow it you may find it good, that is the most that can be said of it. But we know that many have wasted half or all their four years here finding that work was the only remedy for their ills; it may be that this will help you make the discovery sooner.