SLOWLY AND CORRECTLY

The situation in France is critical--but just what will happen few dare to prophesy. There are several good reasons for believing that the present cabinet will not weather the storm, as those acquainted with French politics point out. But there is still another reason for this belief outside of parties and politicians, if the "New York Times" is correct in saying that "Poincare does not love conferences. Before he accepted office and ever since he has been repeating the statement, and so it is probable that if any agreement (with regard to the problem of Angora) is ever come to, it will have to be come to slowly and correctly through the usual diplomatic channels."

The last phrase sums up admirably the opposite of the Washington Conference. The old time diplomacy which arrived at results slowly and correctly--sometimes--went by the boards. Instead there was a frank, round-table discussion which accomplished miracles at a speed which amazed the world. The French were very plainly unable to understand such an unprecedented procedure, as the English, for example, did. They were somewhat at a loss, and, if Poincare still hates conferences, they are still at a loss. The basis for the Four Power treaty lies in the conference idea: the meeting in Faneuil Hall tonight is for the purpose of continuing what was accomplished at Washington--the world has seen what can be done in this way. If the new French cabinet will insist on doing things slowly and correctly through the usual diplomatic channels, France will find itself in the position of a man who decides to drive leisurely down speeding Broadway in a smart brougham only to wonder at being the last of a long line before the box-office.