MAJOR AND MINOR

The curious and intangible barrier that separates the "major" from the "minor" sports at the University has been taken for granted for so long that the reason of its existence has almost been forgotten. But there is no denying the fact that the barrier still exists, and that the rank of the athlete who plays football or rows is pronouncedly different from that of the person who wields a lacrosse stick or wrestles.

That such a hierarchy of sport should be found at any college is only to be expected. The standing of any particular activity is measured by its popularity more than the popularity by its standing. When upward of fifty thousand people will crowd to see a football game, naturally enough that branch of athletics will be the most important, and the man who plays it a dominant figure.

But, as in all things, that sort of attitude can be carried to far. This was emphasized recently at a meeting of the Student Council, when a representative of the minor sports, who was trying to obtain for them certain small privileges, was voted down. The privileges were requested with the idea that they would increase the appeal of the minor sports to the college in general, as well as offer a further incentive for men to take part in them.

The attitude of the Student Council shown in this incident is unfortunately too typical of that prevalent in the undergraduate body at large. Much is said nowadays about athletics for all, sport for sport's sake, and so on; few seem to realize that this opportunity lies in the minor sports. In these the physique which is developed to its full capacity is not necessary for participation and enjoyment. One who has the much-talked-about average ability can find here a pleasant way of gaining exercise and companionship. Although the desire for these is apparently not very great, probably many who do not now take part in any minor sport, would do so if it were not for the negative--even unfavorable--position occupied by these sports. If a supposedly representative body such as the Student Council cannot show more interest in them, minor sports will continue to be lacking in that general appeal which would enable them to fulfill their utmost usefulness.