Manufacturing an Issue

Communication

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Mr. Bondi, in his letter to you published last Thursday, betrays a lack of judgement, an inability to discriminate between the false and the true, that is disheartening. Of what avail will be your editorials, urging the entrance of college men into politics if college men are to be swayed as easily by newspapers's propaganda as Mr. Bondi obviously has been.

The Quincy House raid had absolutely nothing to do with the removal of Harold D. Wilson, Prohibition Enforcement Officer. The only complaint in that raid is made by Wilson against a man named Kearn, Wilson claiming that Kearn's residence at the Quincy House was not legal, and hence he had no right to keep liquor there. The courts will decide the matter in due time and find Kearn guilty or not guilty. The guests at the banquet in the same hotel the night of the raid was neither guilty of any crime nor charged with any crime.

The newspapers have been full for the last six months of the controversies between Wilson and his superiors. In subordinate, incompetent, constantly in hot water, his removal became daily more imminent. Wilson says that Senator Lodge, Congressman Winslow and Congressman Tinkham are responsible for his discharge. They deny it. Are we going to accept the word of these three graduates of our own University or the word of Wilson.

Even the Prohibitionists, headed by Wayne H. Wheeler, the leader of the Anti-Saloon League, favored his removal. For Wilson is of a calibre incommensurate with the needs of a high-class executive.

At a matter of fact if it had been known that Wilson, whom Mr. Bondi describes as "law-respecting", had been previously indicted five times by the Middlesex Grand Jury on charges affecting his honesty, and had had the cases not pressed by William J. Corcovan, who is himself awaiting disbarment proceedings and trial for criminal actions, if this had been known, Washington would never have appointed him.

Wilson is trying to manufacture an issue to save his job. RICHMOND PAQN '22 January 29, 1922.