BOXING SITUATION REVIEWED PRO AND CON BY W. J. BINGHAM

MANY UNIVERSITY OFFICERS IN FAVOR OF PRESENT STATUS

"The agitation current during the past few years for the recognition of boxing as a regular minor sport has taken a concrete from in the shape of a petition bearing the signatures of about 200 students, among whom are many of the leading athletes in College. The petition was circulated during December and has been presented to the Athletic Committee for consideration at its next meeting on Tuesday." Mr. W. J. Bingham '16, assistant graduate treasurer of the H. A. A., said in an interview for the CRIMSON yesterday:

"Boxing has been recognized as an intra-college sport at the University for several years past, but as yet no official sanction for outside matches has been secured. Opposition to contests away from Cambridge has been repeatedly manifested by various officers of the University, who favor an increase of intramural competition in all branches of athletics. It is felt at the H. A. A. that there are several obstacles in the way of ratification of the petition. An objection is to be found in the fact that some of the spectators are likely to take the wrong attitude. In addition, there arises the question of seating facilities. The capacity of gymnasiums such as Hemenway, is at best limited, and it is doubtful if the athletic authorities could handle the crowds which recognition of the sport would be sure to attract.

"Should a compromise be effected, however, it may be arranged to hold organized tournaments, the successful competitors meeting towards the end of February in a final elimination tournament. While the sport may be confined to the University, there is the possibility that the winners of the tournament might compete against Yale."