COUNT TOLSTOY TO SPEAK

Son and Biographer of Great Russian Novelist to Address Union Members Monday on Conditions in Russia

Count Ilya Tolstoy, son of the famous Russian novelist, Count Leo Telstoy, will speak on Monday evening at 8 o'clock in the Living Room of the Union. His address will be on conditions in Russia; he will also discuss the movement that has been started to have Russian students educated in this country in order that they might bring back American ideals and democratic principles to Russia. The lecture will be open only to members of the Union.

Count Tolstoy, who is the third son of Count Leo Tolstoy, was born in 1866, and lived at Yasnaya Polyana until 1881 when the family moved to Moscow. During the famines of 1890, 1891, and 1898 he helped his father in relief work, and since that time has been very active in philanthropic work in Russia, especially during the revolution.

In 1914 he wrote the "Reminiscences of Tolstoy", an account of his father's life, which describes the work he and his father did to aid the cause of Russian democracy. Among other things, he describes the part both of them took in a three-days census of Moscow, in which they canvassed the poorest quarter of the city. The mass of poverty and degradation which they found there excited horror and disgust, and made is deep impression on young Tolstoy.

Count Tolstoy is at present in America on a lecture tour explaining the conditions in Russia and securing aid for the education of Russian students.