SPEAKERS TO LECTURE AT LOWELL INSTITUTE

Five Harvard Men Included--First Three to Lecture Before Christmas Holidays--Tickets May be Had by Sending Stamped Envelope

The lectures in the Lowell Institute this year include five Harvard men: Professor Harlow Shapley; Dr. George La Piana; Dr. W. J. V. Osterhout; Dr. A. H. Rice '98 and Professor W. W. Fenn '84. The lectures by the first three speakers will be given before the Christmas holidays. The four first mentioned will all lecture in Huntington Hall, 491 Boylston street, Boston. Tickets for these lectures can be had by sending to the Curator, Lowell Institute, 491 Boylston street, Boston, a stamped, addressed envelope for each ticket desired.

The Sidereal Universe

Eight lectures by Professor Shapley. 1. The Problems of Modern Astronomy. 2. Space, Time and Starlight. 3. Stars and Atoms. 4. Stellar Variation and Evolution. 5. Measuring the Milky Way. 6. Nebulae and Island Universes. 7. Origin of the Earth. 8. Life and the Physical Universe. Tuesdays and Fridays at 8.00 P. M., beginning Tuesday, October 24.

The Latin Church

Six lectures by Dr. George La Piana, Instructor in Church History. 1. The Background of Early Roman Christianity. 2. Group-life in the Roman Christian Community. 3. Dawn of the Roman Primacy. 4. The African Colony in Rome and the Latinization of the Church. 5. Progressive and Conservative Parties in the Roman Christian Community. 6. Rome and Carthage in the Third Century. Mondays and Thursdays at 8.00 P. M., beginning Monday, November 6.

Tropical South America

Six lectures by Dr. A. H. Rice '98, of the Visiting Committee of the Department of Anthropology. 1. Physical Outlines of South America. 2. Historical. 3. Bogota. 4. The North West Amazon's Valley. 5. The Great Rio Negro. 6. The Casiquiare Canal. Fridays and Tuesdays at 5.00 P. M., beginning Friday, December 1.

Life and Death

Six lectures by Dr. W. J. V. Osterhout, Professor of Botany. 1. Growth. 2. Reproduction. 3. Irritability. 4. Constructive Metabolism. 5. Destructive Metabolism. 6. Permeability. Thursdays and Mondays at 8.00 P. M., beginning Thursday, January 4.

Professor Fenn will give a series of lectures in King's Chapel on "Sallent Points in Current Theological Discussion."