BOARD OF ADVISERS FOR AMES COMPETITION IN LAW SCHOOL ANNOUNCED

PAMPHLET TO AID WORK OF FIRST YEAR MEN PUBLISHED

The Board of Advisers for the Ames Competition in the University Law School has just been picked from among the third year men for the season of 1922-23. It includes J. B. Field, Princeton '20, of Denver, Col.; C. S. Hedden, Wesleyan '19, of Newark, N. J.; Mahlen Pitney Jr., Princeton '20, of Washington, D. C.; G. S. Montgomery Jr., Dartmouth '17, of Cambridge; M. 'P. Sharp, Amherst '18, of Madison, Wis.; H. L. Swett, Reed '20, of Portland, Ore.; and J. E. Tarrant, U. of Va., of Dyersburg, Tenn.

Under the system of the Ames competition many of the first year men are organized by the older law clubs, each of the latter taking in eight first year men. In his club each man has two arguments of his own with other members and a third in which he opposes a man from another club. In the second year the real Ames Competition starts. The various clubs argue against each other and at the end of the term all but four are eliminated; these four compete finally in the third year for the Ames prize. The four chosen to compete this year are the Ames Gray, James Bryce, Parsons, and Scott Law Clubs.

The older members of the first year clubs or men appointed by the Board of Advisers supervise the work of the first year courts, act as judges, or get others to do so. The judges in the second year are usually lawyers from Boston. Besides executing their offices as judges, they are also to furnish the facts for each case brought before them. In the third year, lawyers and judges are secured to sit on the cases. Last year the final argument was held before one judge of the Supreme Court of Massachusetts, one former judge of the same Court, and the judge for the Circuit Court of Appeals, First Circuit.

To aid first year men in this competition the Board of Advisers has this year published a pamphlet on the preparation of arguments for cases of law.