CIVILIZATION AND THE COOP

We hear about another experiment to idealize industry. This time it is not in Russia, out West, or in the East Indies, but it is in the nearby town of Foxboro, Mass. A prominent citizen has led in a "New Civilization" movement which allows passengers in the busses to pay whatever fare they wish. Each week's deficit on the bus line is so much smaller than the loss of the preceding week that it looks as if the "New Civilization" might soon support itself and extend its activities to other commodities.

In such a highly civilized community as Foxboro the "New Civilization" might work. But suppose we tried it at Harvard. But suppose we tried it at Harvard. Imagine the Bursar eagerly scanning the checks for the Term Bills hoping to find some large ones to make up for the general low average. Imagine a line at the Waldorf cash register without checks and not waiting for change. There would be fewer latenesses at the nine o'clock classes. But every student would undoubtedly run beyond his means in order to avoid living on the generosity of others. Soon, instead of paying indefinite sums for "Snyder and Martin", we would demand to be told the cost of three hundred copies, would divide it by three hundred, and by common agreement each would pay his exact portion. Thus, with due respect to Plato, Sir Thomas More, and Mr. Bristol of Foxboro, we consider the Harvard Cooperative Society a large step ahead in the progress of civilization, at least at Harvard.