FENCERS WITNESS FOILS MATCH AT FIRST MEETING

Record Squad Sees Captain Lane '23, Coach Danguy and Burke Boyce 1G. in Exhibition -- Expect Excellent Team--Schedule Very Difficult

The largest squad ever to take up fencing met yesterday afternoon for the first time and witnessed an exhibition with duelling swords and foils given by Captain Lane '23, Coach Danguy, and former Captain Burke Boyce 1G. Boyce, captain of last year's team, which won every dual meet, spoke enthusiastically to the squad of the outlook for the year.

The meeting, which heretofore has been held as a regular Fencer's Club gathering in a private room, was called at Hemenway Gymnasium at 4 o'clock. Nearly 50 men were present including the University squad. Of the twenty-five who signed up to fence an unusually large number have had some experience. Several have fenced in France, and a quarter of the candidates took lessons during the summer. Since the team already has four letter men, only one additional fencer, a foils-man, will be taken on the team this year.

After mid-years several Freshmen will be taken on to the University squad where they can practice varying styles of fencing. All men are coached individually by M. Danguy who trained world champion fencers before coming to the University, and who this year is planning to have men come three days a week for half an hour's practice.

The schedule for the year is the hardest of any American University. In addition to regular meets with colleges like Dartmouth and Yale, informal matches will take place during the winter at the Boston athletic associations. For the first time in ten years West Point is on the schedule. Hamilton, Bowdoin and Tech will be met during the winter as well as the following colleges:--

Cornell--February 15.

Dartmouth--February 24.

West Point--March 10.

Yale--March 17.

Columbia--March 24.