SAYS THAT LYNCHING MUST BE SUPPRESSED

Professor Hart Lectures on Negro Problem at St. Paul's Cathedral--Tells of Handicaps Black Race Suffers in America

Professor A. B. Hart '80, in lecturing yesterday afternoon on "The Problem of the African Negro in America" at St. Paul's Cathedral in Boston, stated that "lynching must be suppressed, if we are ever to settle this difficult question".

Professor Hart, explained that in America the negro suffers from the fact that his immigration, which lasted for 200 years, was forced, that he was brought in as a slave race, and that he at present constitutes one-tenth of our total population. "Yet why has not the negro question settled itself like that of the other foreign peoples who come here? It is because the negro is on a worse footing than the immigrant, because of his tradition of inferiority, because his average moral and intellectual quality is below that of the white man, because he has not had as good a chance to develop what is in him as have the other immigrants, because there is an element in the southern states that does not want the negro to prosper, and because the negroes in the North live in islands of population in the large cities.

"To remedy this situation we must take the South on its own word that the negro is inferior, and we must give him all the education that he can take. We must suppress lynching, because it is an acknowledgment that we, with all our machinery of government, are not ready to apply to the negroes those principles of justice which are our most precious heritage."