LATENT IDEALISM

The sins of the younger generation, and especially of college students, have long been a subject for popular discussion; but this year the standard of pessimism has been relatively low. Perhaps moralists have exhausted themselves with criticism of the flapper; for the latest comment is friendly and hopeful in tone. In an editorial entitled "Real College Students", the New York Times suggests that the American college is not all that it should be, and that the fault lies with the undergraduate. It points out a "decline within the last generation in the dominant tone of the student body" and goes on to say:

"The ocean of frivolity has gained advantage on the shore of the curriculum. Perhaps a reaction long overdue may manifest itself. To be most efficacious this ought to originate among the students themselves, and no one who knows the pervasive but latent idealism in our college boys can doubt that, once the movement has started, it would spread rapidly . . . It would make the pursuit of knowledge actually come first in the life of the student; and a man's rating in the esteem of his fellows would rest upon the persistency with which he fought toward that goal."

Once more the question of the relative value of "pure college curriculum", and "the outside activity"! Should the undergraduate place his studies first--actually ahead of athletics, competitions, and tea dances? Should he allow the "latent idealism" which is in him to manifest itself? Should he stifle the matter-of-fact, practical ambition to "make the team", or "win the competition"? Perhaps the "student" has been undeserving of his name in the past perhaps he has been too much of a "college boy". But are not some of his "non-studious" activities worth something?

For Harvard the question has been answered in the affirmative by the College Office. Cards have been sent to all publications, and all athletic managers, asking for a list of all editors, managers, and those competing for positions. The Office has stated that such information will be taken into consideration in the deciding of any doubtful cases to come before the Administrative Board.

This is a step without precedent--a recognition of the value of other elements in college life, besides that of the curriculum. With the knowledge that the deans and other officials of the college no longer ignore the "outside activity" (dances and bridge tournaments not included), the undergraduate is much more apt to let loose some of the "latent idealism" which is in him.