ODD NUMBERS

Ever since the spider took nine tries to reach the opposite beam and Robert Bruce nine tries to defeat the English, the figure nine has been accredited with extraordinary mystical powers. Fail once, then try eight more times, and on the ninth attempt success will result. If nine tries are too exhausting, three might do. "Thrice the brinded cat hath spowed," said the witch in Macbeth, and undoubtedly her use of the number was highly significant. But there are some numbers that apparently mean nothing.

Of these one of the most inexplicable is 73 hf. A strange algebraic symbol probably, one expressive of some fearful incantation or curse known only to astrologers and other practitioners of the Black Arts. Accordingly to learn that this sign is merely the name of an English course is a matter of great surprise. But why burden an innocent course with such a handle as 73 hf? There are not 73 English courses in Harvard, including even that immense number of mythical courses offered every year but the present. The christening of English 73 must have taken place on the roulette wheel.

Not content with this, the Goddess of Chance has been to work elsewhere at Harvard. The numbering of the seats in Sanders is another result of her diabolical ingenuity. In two sections the numbers in the rows run as follows:

A college education is necessary for men who would usher here. Therefore it is lucky that this arrangement is known to be indigenous only to Harvard.

In room numbering there is also a total lack of mathematical precision. The rooms are lettered in Emerson, in Harvard they are numbered, and vacillating Sever, by using both methods, compromises between the two. This may be fascinating and charming, but if these qualities are what is desired, it would be much more effective to give each room a name; call Harvard 6 King Beaver, for instance, or Sever 1 Evangeline, just as is done on Pullman cars.

Before Pythagoras assigned his numbers he should have matriculated in the University School of System. C  D 1-16  7-17 17-31  18-33 32-45  34-48 46-58  49-62