"GENUG UND' GUT"

University life in Germany is reported to be no longer a round of resplendent corps, sabre-duelling, and good beer. The students returned from the trenches with no money and no clothing except their uniforms, and found themselves crowded into dormitories, twenty in a room accommodating six. This would be hailed in America with undisguised comments of "Serve 'em right!" were it not for an interesting result.

The German student-bodies, impressed by the need of improving their own living conditions, have organized for better cooperative effort, at the same time repudiating the ideals for which they fought in 1914. Their new union provides that they do their own building, direct their own employment agencies, operate their own laundries, and conduct their own dining halls. For three and a half cents they get a meal consisting of a bowl of potato soup and a piece of coarse bread. Twice a week meat is served. Yet so far the "kick register" contains as its most frequent comment "Genug und Gut", which compares favorably with reports of dining hall suggestion boxes in American universities.

The same necessity which has forced German students to abandon any prewar notions of the degradation of working-a-way through college, has led them to a thorough distaste for the policies and forces which brought about the present state of affairs in Germany. The whole tone of "Genug und Gut" is far more wholesome and indicates a complete face-about from the war-time, "Ich und Gott." If the powerful new student organizations are sincere in their efforts and carry their ideas into effect throughout the nation, the future of Germany rests secure in safe and moderate hands.