HOLBEIN PORTRAIT AND SIENA MADONNA AT FOGG

Former on Oak and probably of Younger Dinteville--Sienese Painting Related to Work of Lorenzetti--Both Belong to Arthur Sachs '01

The Fogg Art Museum is now exhibiting in its Gallery two paintings of unusual interest and beauty--one a portrait by the great German master, Hans Holbein, the other, a Madonna and Child and Angels, of the XIVth, century Sienese School.

The Holbein Portrait is painted in a roundel of oak and represents a young man, almost full face, dressed in a black coat and cap. In his left hand he holds a pair of gloves. The background is a greenish blue, and on it is inscribed: "Anno Domi 1535 Etatis Svae 28." Professor Paul Ganz, the well-know authority on Holbein, writing of this portrait says: "The Portrait of a Young Man" is a genuine, exquisite work of Hans Holbein the Younger. The drawing for this picture is in the Library of Windsor Caste. . .In my opinion this unknown man has a strong family likeness with the French Ambassador Jean de Dinteville, painted by Holbein twice, and there is a great probability that it is the portrait painted by his younger brother.

The Sienese painting represents a half-length figure of the Madonna with her arm around the Child, Who stands at her left. His hand upraised in blessing. In each of the upper corners of the picture may be seen the head and shoulders of an adoring angel. The painting is closely related to the work of Pietro Lorenzetti, one of the three greatest masters of the Sienese School.

The pictures belong to Arthur Sachs '01. They are now lent by him to the Fogg Art Museum, and will be at the Museum on loan for long periods of time each year.