CAMBRIDGE CLUB CEMENTS FRENCH ENTENTE REFUSES "LA VIE PARISIENNE"

GENERAL ELECTION ENDS IN WILD HILARITY

CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND, November 17.--The University Debating Society, which contains quite three quarters of the undergraduates, has been deeply divided over the question as to whether the Society's Reading Rooms should take in "La Vie Parisienne" or not. Highly moral arguments were produced on one side. It would be bad for Cambridge morals, it would ruin the friendly feeling which one ought to feel for France if so improper a French paper were taken in. People would get from it quite a wrong impression of French character. The supporters of "La Vie" maintained that the paper was quite harmless;--though to the pure all things apparently were impure. They pointed out that no one need look at it if he didn't want to. After a heated discussion the friends of the paper won the day, but its enemies, in accordance with the rules of the society, demanded a poll. At this the decision of the meeting was reversed, and so the Entente is in no danger!

The Cambridge Amateur Dramatic Club has decided to produce William Makepeace Thackeray's "The Rose and the Ring" at the end of this term. Another University Club, the Footlight Dramatics Club, is contenting itself with promoting an all night Ball and Cabaret Entertainment. This is arousing great undergraduate interest, though naturally the University authorities do not regard it with any favour.

Sell Poppies for Earl Haig's Fund

On the anniversary of the Armistice undergraduates turned themselves into street hawkers and sold Poppies in aid of Earl Haig's "Fund for Disabled Soldiers". Over 600 pounds were collected, which is a record in Cambridge for a one day collection. Part of the scheme for attracting money consisted of a mock circus consisting of undergraduates dressed up in the skins of animals who paraded the town making appropriate noises. The evening was much quieter than usual and very few bonfires were lighted where they ought not to have been.

The election is now over and has ceased to be a disturbing element. The results were telephoned through as they were made known to the Debating Hall of the Union. It was crowded with undergraduates and as the results came trickling in and it was seen which way the poll was going the cheers and counter cheers of the different parties roused excitement to a fever pitch. In the University election one of the Candidates returned is in favour of the admission of women to the University, so there will be many feminine hearts made glad as a result.