DEBATING UNION GIVES PROMISE OF SUCCESS IN STIMULATING DISCUSSION

LACK OF CONSTITUTION ONE OF STRONGEST FEATURES

Judge A. P. Stone '93, author of various books on debating and formerly trustee of the Coolidge Debating Fund, stated in a recent interview with a CRIMSON reporter in regard to the newly formed Harvard Debating Union, "The students of Harvard today are not doing anything in debating which their grandfathers and fathers have not already tried.

"In 1831 the first Harvard Union was formed for the purpose of debate, and was a conscious attempt to imitate the Oxford Union. The first Harvard Union like many similar organizations which were subsequently formed finally disappeared, only to be resurrected about 1881. This latter society was reorganized two decades later, and after a split the two wings were known as the New Harvard Union and the Wendell Phillips Club, respectively. The clubs were friendly rivals in debate. The plan of these debates was to have but two prepared speeches from each side at the conclusion of which the meeting was thrown open for debate from the floor.

"There were two chief difficulties encountered in the conduct of these meetings: first, subjects were chosen which were not always of interest, and secondly, the clubs became involved in parliamentary quibbles which marred the debates.

"It would be a very great mistake if the present Harvard Debating Union were to attempt an elaborate constitution, for they would inevitably become involved in parliamentary discussions juvenile in character and devoid of public interest. There should be no more elaborate organization than an executive committee at the head of each club directing the course of the debates. The fewer the officers the better the organization. This, indeed, is the strongest feature of the proposed Harvard Debating Union.

"If this new organization," concluded Judge Stone, "will stimulate discussion in the University on matters of current interest for a period of eight or ten years or even for a college generation, it will well have justified its creation, and will have served a worthy purpose.

"There is most assuredly a need for such an informal organization. The Harvard Debating Union gives great promise of success and should attract the support of every serious-minded student interested in political problems."