HOCKEY AND BASKETBALL GET UNDER WAY AT YALE

Hockey Squad Loses Opening Game to St. Nicholas 5-4 but Shows Promising Strength and Organization--Four Basketball Veterans Back

The close of the fall term finds winter athletic activities at Yale in full swing, with hockey and basketball playing the leading roles.

The hockey squad has been practicing regularly in the New Haven Arena for the past month. Under the training of Coach Wanausker and Captain Bulkley, the sextet has been developing rapidly. The work so far has been directed mainly in the development of offensive play in which the three man forward line attack has been especially emphasized. The Blue season officially got under way Wednesday night with a game with the St. Nicholas Hockey Club of New York. Although defeated 5-4, the Eli sextet gave evidence of considerable power, and was only prevented from making a higher score by the excellent work of the St. Nicholas goal-guard.

In spite of a rather unsuccessful season last year basketball prospects for the coming winter are brighter than they have been for some time. Although material for the center position is not very promising, the other four places on the quintet will be filled by veterans, and a strong combination may be expected.