CRIMSON COMPETITIONS TO BEGIN NEXT WEEK

Editorial Men Will Meet Tuesday--Sophomore News Candidates Start Thursday--Both Last About Twelve Weeks--Last Chance for Juniors

TWO CRIMSON competitions will start next week. On Tuesday, February 14, the editorial board, open only to members of the Junior class, will begin, and on Thursday, February 16, that for the news board, open only to Sophomores, will start. The 1923 competition will be the last chance for Juniors to make the CRIMSON board, while the 1924 news competition will be the last one open to members of that class.

The editorial competition will get under way Tuesday evening at 7 o'clock with a meeting of all candidates at the Crimson Building, 14 Plympton street. At this meeting the details of the work required will be explained. The contest will last about 12 weeks, and will consist of writing editorials on topics connected with the University, as well as subjects of general interest--at least two editorials a week will be required from each candidate. A feature of the competition will be frequent talks by editors of various Boston papers on various subjects connected with editorial writing. Election to the board will be made on the quality and number of editorials printed, and on the general value of candidates to the paper. The men elected will be eligible for the position of Editorial Chairman.

Candidates for the news competition, which will last about 12 weeks, will meet in the Crimson Building Thursday evening at 7 o'clock and will receive instructions as to the work required. On account of the fact that no men in the last Sophomore news competition were taken on the CRIMSON board, the date for starting the last competition for 1924 has been advanced, and will not be in March, as is usually the case. The men competing will have a chance to gain valuable experience along repertorial lines, especially in interviewing prominent men.