GETTING UP STEAM

Protests of American ship operators against excessive rates of marine insurance, resulted in a conference the first of this week between representatives of the Shipping Board, the insurance companies, and the operatives. The probable outcome of this meeting will be a rating for cargo insurance which will be as low as those prevailing abroad. This is one step toward the rehabilitation of the American merchant marine, but more must be done before United States' ships will be able to compete on an equal basis with merchant fleets of other nations.

Ships of American registry are compelled by law to operate under heavier costs than ships of other nations, since certain provisions concerning wages, quarters, and other conditions affecting the crew, designed to protect the rights of seamen, result in higher labor costs. A few of these regulations impose unnecessary restrictions; but on the whole our shipping laws are just, and their repeal would be unwise. Little or no reduction in labor charges may therefore be expected.

The one way in which the advantage to foreign nations of lower labor costs may be offset, is a reduction of the insurance rate below that which obtains in other countries. A huge combination of private companies might conceivably be able to insure at lower rates, and still make a profit; but an easier method of securing inexpensive insurance would be to have the government provide it at cost, a thing which our experience with war-time life insurance for the army and navy shows quite feasible.