AN IRISHMAN IN PARIS

While the provisional government of Ireland is struggling to set up the administrative organization of the new Free State, Eamonn De Valera for so long styled its "President" is sulking in Paris. While the majority of Irishmen are uniting in an effort to put the infant republic on its feet, their erstwhile leader is busy organizing an International Irish League which is to start a new campaign to "obtain the absolute Independence of Ireland". He who was once the "white hope" of Irishmen--at home and abroad--has become the more spokesman of a few malcontents.

Why does Achilles sulk thus in his tent? Is this how those who love their country conduct themselves when it is most in want of their help and support? Why, when constructive statesmanship is needed, do Mr. De Valera and his followers content themselves with standing by and babbling vague denunciations to whoever has time to listen? The Irish Free State has yet to be built still they would tear it down before it is even started. Constitutional opposition in a regularly organized parliament is one thing; loud invective and rebellious threats against a newly organized government not able to stand on its feet is quite another. The first may be the course of a patriot; the second savors only of the self-seeking agitator. If Mr. DeValera has any ambition to deserve that niche in the Hall of Irish patriots which not a few of his countrymen once reserved for him, he will hardly continue his present tactics any longer.