GLAMOUR OF OLD WEST VIVIDLY PORTRAYED

Mr. Charles Wellington Furlong Describes With Lantern Slides and Motion Pictures Round-Up Scenes and Cowboy Sports at Pendleton, Oregon

In a talk illustrated by colored slides and by moving pictures. Mr. Charles Wellington Furlong, last night at the Union, gave his large and enthusiastic audience a vivid account of the Old West, epitomized in all its glamour at the Round-up at Pendleton, Oregon.

To these annual shows come 70,000 people, cowboys and Indians from the surrounding counties and states, and here are celebrated the immemorial sports of the West--horse racing, steer roping, Maverick races, broncho busting, and many others that require skill and strength. The stage coach race, established as Mr. Furlong said, before the "Safety First" idea, is another exciting and neck-breaking event.

Mr. Furlong showed many pictures and told many stories of famous horses and buckaroos. There was Sundown Jackson, a full-blooded Indian, who at the age of fifty won the world's rough riding championship by sticking to a fierce "outlaw" horse, "raking" him and "fanning" him at every buck, and finally riding him "out", after he had been scraped against several fences, carried through others, and carried round, and round the arena. Then there was a cowboy, the best rider in the West, who because he was a Pendleton boy had to "ride out" four of the worst horses in a period of forty-five minutes before the judges would award him the championship for that year. And this in spite of the fact that he had entered the contest with a broken right forearm.

"If the cowboys could find a boa-constrictor that bucked, they'd saddle him up for the Round-up", said Mr. Furlong, "for they try to ride any animal that has a buck in it". The worst of all are the bucking buffaloes, which no one has ever been known to stick to. Bucking bulls are the next hardest, particularly as the saddle is put as far back as possible "to get everything that's in the bull in the way of a buck, out". The most famous of these animals was Sharkey, who was black, weighted a ton and a half, and prior to 1914 had thrown every man that got on his back in less than six seconds. In 1914, however, Mr. Furlong succeeded in keeping in the saddle for more than 10 seconds, thus establishing a record and gaining the world's rough-riding championship for that year--the reward which had been promised to anyone who could ride Sharkey for more than the conventional time. Mr. Furlong attributed his success to a study of "bull-riding psychology" by which he was able to fool himself into thinking his "joints weren't really coming apart, but only felt that way", and so to "concentrate on his finger ends and hang on"