WHILE THE BALLOON IS IN SIGHT

On January 19 President Lowell's report was published. That section which dealt with the modern game of football has caused a good deal of discussion since. President Richmond of Union College said some time ago "that many college presidents are worrying over the athletic situation in their respective colleges." President Meiklejohn of Amherst claims that "athletic disarmament," to be accomplished by "scrapping" all paid coaches, is the requisite panacea. From coast to coast, those interested in the welfare of football have spoken, the concensus of opinion being that football is the finest of sports, but that something must be done to save it. This is no false alarm; the game is in danger of professionalization, and unless more than passing consideration is awarded its problems, whether it will remain the "finest of sports" is questionable.

Some time ago we advocated the abolition of practice before the opening of college in the fall, limitation of inter-sectional games, and abandonment of any advertising of any sort of intercollegiate contest. Others have recommended many reforms, some similar, some very different, some radical, some inane. The latest to discuss the subject are President Hibben of Princeton and Professor Mendell, chairman of the Yale Athletic Board of Control. President Hibben says, in part:

"There are two things that every university can and ought to do to create a higher tone in athletics. The first is that every university. . . . must make absolutely sure that its representatives stand for clean sport on every athletic field. . . We at Princeton wish above everything else in our athletic relations to other universities that it may be said of our teams "There is a body of clean sportsmen.' . . . We must be sure here at Princeton that we have absolutely unquestioned amateurs on our teams. There should not be any subsidizing of athletics . . . ." All this is pertinent, and preventative steps should be taken if necessary. Professor Mendell discussed two phases of professionalism, namely, the tendency of the coaches to make the game their own, and the so-called "tramp" athlete. Again, well worth consideration.

But where does all this lead? At the time President Lowell's statement was made, it was said that it was a balloon sent up to see which way the wind was blowing. Certainly there can be no doubt that the men whose opinions count in such a question will stand behind any change for the better that is made. Most significant is President Hibben's statement that "If we are to do anything to lift that cloud of doubt, it. I feel, can be done only. . . through joint action with our old friends and rivals, Yale and Harvard," while Professor Mendell echoes this idea with these words, "I hope that the day is not far distant when Harvard, Princeton and Yale can agree upon some such regulation as a safeguard for true sportsmanship."

There can be no doubt which way the wind is blowing. Now is the time to propose definite changes. Else, President Lowell's balloon is in danger of disappearing in the cerulean blue.