"REPENTING AT LEISURE"

Study-cards are one of the minor annoyances of mid-years. To the man for whom studies are merely an unpleasant corollary of college life, it is painful to have to choose new courses when he has barely come through the ordeal of the old ones. To the man to whom studies are the summum bonum, it is painful to contemplate the pamphlet known as "Courses of Instruction" and consider what a small fraction of possible education he is able to take. But in either case it has to be done, and done at once. Our familiar habit of leaving everything until the last possible moment in this case is a serious disadvantage. Unless one is certain in advance what courses he expects to take, there is a large amount of pencil-chewing and page-turning to be done; in any case there is an adviser to be consulted--and advisers have an inconsiderate habit of not always being on hand when the advisee may happen to call. Choosing courses for the rest of the year between eleven-fifty and twelve o'clock on Monday morning is a case of marrying in haste and repenting at leisure. And for the man who decries paternalism, the authorities may well say that as long as students are unable to perform the simple task of getting their study-cards in on time, they can scarcely be trusted with heavier responsibilities.