THE HABIT OF SUCCESS

The present session of the British Parliament, which opened yesterday, promises to be the most eventful in years. David Lloyd George will face his critics in an unusual situation--a Prime Minister without a party. The coalition, which has withstood so many hard assaults, seem finally to be showing signs of weakening. Nominally representing a Unionist government, the Premier has alienated many of his conservative supporters by his advocacy of liberal measures, while the Liberal Party, with whom his sympathies naturally lie, refuse to accept the prodigal as their leader because of his treatment of Asquith in 1916.

The success of the solution of the Irish Question, upon which he has relied so much to restore his prestige, has been seriously imperiled by the dispute over the boundary of Ulster and foreign affairs are in no better shape. There is a widespread belief in England that the failure to come to a closer agreement with France in the Cannes Conference was a serious diplomatic blunder. Many think that the trip of the Prince of Wales to India, where his presence has failed to allay the revolutionary discontent, was another costly mistake. Conditions in Egypt, already bad enough from the meagre reports that reach the press, call for drastic remedies, according to General Allenby, and ones which the present Cabinet cannot well grant.

A month ago the Prime Minister was known to be anxious for a general election at that time on the issue of his settlement of the Irish Question, but present indications point for its postponment until May or even later. The situation is certainly as serious as any Lloyd George has ever had to face, but he has slipped through so many trying places that few among his supporters would be surprised to see him surmount his present difficulties and be again victorious.