'25 CREWS TAKE TO RIVER

Four Yearling Eights Given Work-Out on Charles--Two More Freshman Shells to Go Out This Afternoon

With the ice fast disappearing from the Charles, Coach Howe yesterday afternoon sent four Freshman eights on the water for their first organized row of this year. The Inexperienced Football men crew was able to take to open water for a short time on Wednesday, but yesterday's workout was the first river trial during which any intensive coaching was attempted. None of the University shells have yet been on the river.

Since the river was still blocked with ice-cakes below the Cottage Farm bridge progress in that direction was limited; but above the Newell boathouse and well beyond the upper bond was an unbroken stretch of open water, affording the quartet of yearling shells ample space for a short row. The 1925 crews that were sent out yesterday included the first two Autumn Crews, the first Inexperienced Football eight, and the first Experienced Football crew.

This afternoon six yearling crews will be on the river under the general supervision of Coach Herbert Haines. They will probably be the only shells to go out 'till Monday, when the coaches hope to have the greater part of both the University and Freshman squads on the Charles.