IPSI DUXIT

Last week we published an article comparing the positions of sport in England and in this country--more particularly at Cambridge and at Harvard. By way of conclusion to this article Mr. Lamont said: "The system in our own country can never be changed until the spirit is changed, until the undergraduate attitude has been altered; and that will not take place for a long time. I believe that it will do little good for Harvard, or one or two of our other great universities to take the initiative in this movement. The real start must be made in the grammar schools, in the high schools, and in the preparatory schools; for athletics in the colleges are based upon the same methods, ideas, and states of mind as at the schools, though of course on a much larger scale".

It is difficult not to argue in circles when discussing this subject. One can say, as Mr. Lamont does, that the fundamental trouble lies in the lower schools; it would; however, be difficult flatly to deny any statement saying it is the colleges that influence the high schools. Of course, each influences the other; but we are of the opinion that the college exerts much the greater pressure. For instance, the college sets certain entrance requirements, and these particularly mould school curricula. The college has a magazine, so must the preparatory or high school. The college has athletic teams, so the others follow.

From these considerations it is apparent that it is the duty of the colleges to take up the initiative for a change of spirit: once they even make a start along this line, the schools will rapidly change as well. Nor is it public opinion that has brought about the present unfortunate situation--unfortunate more in its tendencies, perhaps, than in actual abuses of recognized principles. No, the colleges have created that attitude toward their sports which the public holds, and which now inclines to regard colleges as extensive country clubs where the rich boy goes to have a good time and be captain of football. If the colleges have created that attitude--by providing rather pageant-like spectacles--they can remedy it.

We do not object to having the public watch our athletic games, if it will be sportsmanlike about it. But the public is inclined to judge a college by what it sees of it; and if one stops to compare the number of people who know that the first row in the Stadium is L, with the number of people who know where the Treasure Room in Widener is, there is good cause for worry over present tendencies.

The colleges must take the initiative, their place in the community and their active interest in good sport, make leadership a fundamental obligation.