PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SCHOOL MEN IN 1925 NEARLY EQUAL

Report of Chairman of Committee on Admission Shows Interesting Relations--Outlines Changes in S. B. Requirement

In his annual report Mr. Henry Pennypacker '88, Chairman of the Committee on Admission, gave out complete statistics of the applications for and refusals of admission, grouped by classes, plan of admission and geographical distribution. An extremely interesting fact which was brought out in the statistics was the equal distribution of men entering from public and private schools. Forty-six and four-tenths percent of the candidates were from the former schools, while about 53:5 prepared at private or endowed schools. But the curious part is that the figures of the men entering by new plan and old plan from these two groups are nearly reversed. Thirty-three and seven-tenths percent of the old plan examinations were taken by public school candidates while 62.3 percent of the new plan papers were taken by public school men.

Mr. Pennypacker also outlined changes which had been made allowing the admission of candidates for the S.B. degree upon two years' preparation in Latin and the changes in the credit given for elementary algebra.

He also gave out figures showing that the committee had received and acted upon 1523 applications for admission, of which 990 were applicants for the Freshman class, 412 for admission from other colleges, 88 for admission as Special Students, and 33 as application on grounds of war service.