COACHES AND GRADUATES TO VIEW WORK OF CREWS IN RACE THIS AFTERNOON

CHOICE OF STROKES AND FINAL EIGHTS PROBLEM OF WEEK

Although a high wind blowing up the Basin prevented the regular mile race which had been scheduled for Saturday, Dr. Howe sent his three University crews over a stretch of about a mile upstream with very satisfactory results, in addition he had all three crews row at a very high stroke for short spurts. The work was viewed by the entire coaching staff and by various members of the Graduate Committees.

Today the three eights will row again for a mile stretch, in the Basin if weather permits, and otherwise for about a mile distance upstream. Dr. Howe is planning to have the Committee on Strokes out this week and is hoping that various members of that and the other Graduate Committees will be out for the race this afternoon.

Due to the numerous bends in the river the crews had to be started one behind the other on Saturday, with a length of open water between each one. Crew A. ably stroked by R. C. Walcott '22, gained about a length on Crew B. the old 1924 Freshman crew, which was first at the start; had the race been rowed on a straight-away course it might have gained even more. Crew C. although rowing somewhat raggedly, was able to keep up with the other two due to the excellent steering of W. W. Wood '24. The old 1924 Freshman combination was very much handicapped by the difference in weight which has developed since last spring. As it raced on Saturday the boat averaged 183 pounds to the man, nine pounds more per man than it weighed at the New London Regatta last year. The shell was very much down at the bow on Saturday and the undoubted strength of the oarsmen was practically going to waste; due to the change in weight it seems very unlikely that this combination will be possible as a racing crew this year.

Since the selection of five eights from among the class crew material over a week ago, the various graduate committees, and the coaches have been devoting their time to a careful study of the various oarsmen. This resulted in the cut of one crew last Saturday and of another eight in the middle of last week. Dr. How feels that this gradual elimination of the candidates is one of the most important parts of the season's work and, as a result, there has at no time been any cut until all the coaches have agreed on its advisability. The problem at present is to determine on the 16 men to be retained from the present squad and the work for the week has been outlined with this end in view; it is not likely that the final out and grading of the crews will be made before Saturday.