RUNNERS HOLD FIRST WORK-OUT OF SPRING SEASON ON NEW TRACK

EMPHASIZE FAITHFUL WORK AND GRADUAL DEVELOPMENT

Forty more men reported for track a year ago than attended the practice yesterday. More candidates are needed for both University and Freshman squads and may report today with no disadvantage from this late start. A large squad is the basis of a successful track season. W. J. Bingham '16,   Coach.

One hundred and one men report yesterday afternoon for the University track squad and 54 for the Freshman at the first practice of the spring season. Before the men went outside there was a meeting of University candidates in the Locker Building at which Captain J. F. Brown '22, D. C. Parmenter '13, and Coach W. J. Bingham '16 spoke. Later in the afternoon the Freshman squad was brought together to hear Coach Bingham and J. R. Tolbert 1L., who will be in complete charge of the yearlings after the spring vacation.

At the first meeting Captain Brown said that the principal aim of the track squad is to make this season more successful than that of last year. With this in view he urged the importance of a large squad of men with a relatively high scholastic standing. Dr. Parmenter spoke briefly on training as one requisite of success, emphasizing sleep and regular meal hours as cardinal points in the athlete's program.

Coach Bingham spoke of "Progress" as the important point for each individual to remember, progress attained by faithful daily practice, rather than by attempt to establish records in the first week. He laid great stress on the fact that any man with "two arms, two legs and determination" could develop into a successful track athlete. "Every meet this year", Mr. Bingham said, "will be our objective, with the Yale meet on May 13, as the super-objective." He also emphasized a cordial spirit towards opponents as well as towards other members of the squad; of combining a spirit of fun with one of hard work in the daily practice. Taking the Harvard-Yale meet against Oxford-Cambridge last summer as his model, he commented on a sportsmanlike attitude as one of the things which the squad must strive for. Taking up the plans for the coming season, Coach Bingham said that 35 men would go on the spring trip and that training table would not begin until after the spring vacation. All men, he went on to say, must be entered in some special event as the squad will be divided into groups at the beginning of next week when sub-captains will be appointed, following the custom established last year.

In speaking to the Freshman Coach Bingham again emphasized gradual improvement gained through earnest practice as a means of attaining final success, while Coach Tolbert said that although the material was as good if not better in quality than in most years, more men were needed, especially in the weight, discus, and javelin throws.

Following the meeting the running candidates took a light practice on the new cinder track. This track is in the north-west part of Soldiers Field with one end bordering on the Freshman Athletic Field. It is of the same dimensions as the Stadium track, measuring 440 yards around and combining with this a 220-yard straight away. It was used last fall, but today was the first time that spring practice has been held on it. The field event men practiced under the supervision of Coach Farrell and Coach Mikkola