TRACK SQUAD WILL BE ENTERED IN HANDICAP MEET THIS AFTERNOON

FRESHMEN PICKED FOR MEET WITH ANDOVER TOMORROW

With the exception of Captain Brown and L. K. Marshall '22 who are at Philadelphia for the Pennsylvania Relay Carnival, the entire University track squad will take part in a handicap meet on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 3.30 o'clock. Coach Tolbert has picked a squad of 41 men to go to Andover tomorrow for the first Freshman meet of the year, but save for these men the members of the 1925 squad are expected to compete with the University entries.

The two hammer-throwers accompanied by H. S. P. Rowe '22, manager of the track team, left for Philadelphia last night. Rowe is making the trip largely for the purpose of attending a meeting of the executive committee of the I. C. A. A. A. A. The meeting will consider certain details in regard to the intercollegiate track meet to be held at Soldiers Field on May 26 and 27 of which Rowe is manager. The best chance which the University will have of breaking into the winning column at the Relay Carnival will be in the hammer-throw tomorrow although Brown will also put the shot this afternoon. There is only a possibility that Marshall can place among the stars gathered from all parts of the country, but Brown's work this year points to him as the logical winner and Coach Farrell is confident of the ability of his premier weight thrower to capture first place. In competition Brown has never done 160 feet, but in practice this year he has achieved results which justify the expectations of his supporters. Bradley of Kansas Agricultural College, Tonon of M. I. T., Tootel of Bowdoin, Cruikshank of Yale, and Wager of Cornell are a quintet of weight throwers who are expected to afford Brown some keen competition while in Baker and Emery, Princeton has a pair of men capable of getting 150 feet of better.

Tiger Freshman Strong Weight Man

In the shot-put R. G. Hills, a Princeton Freshman, is expected to take the measure of the big field inasmuch as he is ranked with Glenn Hartsranft of Leland Stanford Jr. University as the best college shot-putter of the country. While still a student at the Hill School, Hills gained a place on the 1920 Olympic team and he is now capable of doing 46 feet. In Thompson, the Orange and Black has another dependable entry in this event and Jordan of Yale together with Bell of Boston College will help to increase the difficulties which Brown will have to face.

The practice yesterday afternoon was of a less gruelling nature than the hard drilling which the track men went through during the first part of the week. The results of this severe training will probably not be seen immediately and it is hoped that the improvement will take place next week at such a time as to have the men in the best possible condition for the meet with M. I. T. on May 6. Beginning with the trial heats for the 100-yard dash at 3.30 o'clock this afternoon, the time trials and competitions in the handicap meet will continue throughout the afternoon ending with the finals of the 220-yard low hurdles at 5.30 o'clock.