NEW SHELL FOR FIRST CREW TAKES TO WATER

Boat Built by William Lutz Used for First Time Yesterday--Fitted for Heavy Crews--Bow Committee to Be at Newell Tonight

The new University shell built this last winter by William Lutz was launched for the first time yesterday and was used for the first University crew, which will probably continue to use it during the season.

The shell is wall-sided and an inch deeper than is usual. It is fitted, there fore, for a heavy crew and rides high in the water despite the weight of the present eight. For the past few years some well-known critics of rowing have declared that the University crews have been down at the bow. A consideration of the weights as published on Thursday and of the shell as it rode yesterday makes it clear, however, that this criticism cannot be repeated this year. The shell has been rigged under the direction of Dr. Howe and the Graduate Committee on Rigging and has been carefully fitted to the individual oarsmen. The specifications of the shell are as follows: 61 1-2 feet in length; 10 1-2 inches in depth; 23 inches in width.

Easy Workout for First Crews

Dr. Howe took the two University crews upstream yesterday and gave them a work-out considerably easier than has been the rule for the past few days. Now that the first eight has been chosen the first problem is to get the men accustomed to the new shell and more generally to prepare the two eight for the Pennsylvania race; Dr. Howe is now concentrating on these ends.

The Graduate Bow Committee consisting of Wendell Davis uL., Mr. Leverett Saltonstall '14, Mr. W. H. Trumbull '15 and Mr. Charles Wiggin '08, will be at the Newell Boathouse at 7.45 o'clock tonight for a general meeting of the men rowing bow, two, and three on certain special University and Freshman crews. Men rowing in these positions on the two University crews, the combination crew, the three Freshman crews, the first class crews and the 150-pound crews will be expected to attend. With the possible exception of Mr. Saltonstall all the members of the committee will speak briefly on the work of the bow men, after which refreshments will be served.