UNIVERSITY NINE WINS PRACTICE CONTEST 8-0

Defeats Old Colony Trust Company Team in Well Played Game--Home Run by Conlon and Triple Play by Visiting Fielders Feature Work-Out

In its first practice game with an outside team yesterday afternoon, the University nine sent the Old Colony Trust Company players to an 8-0 defeat. The Crimson batters opened the scoring in the first inning with two runs and found little difficulty in staging a rally in the fourth. Reliable work in the pitcher's box and an almost perfect infield combination prevented any of the visiting runners from getting beyond third base. The Old Colony team also exhibited some expert fielding and in the second inning completed a triple play quickly ending the scoring which the Crimson nine had begun early in the game.

Owen Starts Scoring

Owen was responsible for the opening tally when he drove out a long three base hit to left field sending Gordon, who had reached first by a fielder's choice, across the plate and it was only a few minutes later that he was sent home for the second score. After the triple play in the second inning, the University nine again brought in a run when Captain Conlon was sent home on a pretty hit by Gordon. But it was in the next frame that the long rally was staged. Janin and Hallock each got on base by hits, and Russell followed to first on a fielder's choice. It was at this point that Conlon drove a long homer between center and left, giving him plenty of time to cross the plate. Hallock was the final scorer, coming home after a stolen base and a walk.

The team will open the season with a regular scheduled game with Providence College on the University diamond tomorrow afternoon. Tickets for this game and the other three remaining games before the southern trip will be placed on sale tomorrow morning at the H. A. A. and at Leavitt and Peirce's. Single Tickets are 25 cents and season tickets $3.00. The B. A. A. all-sport season, tickets will admit to the baseball games.