1923 EIGGHT OVERCOMES 1924

Last Minute Spurt Falls to Put Sophomores in Lead at Finish

The Sophomore and Junior class crews met over the mile and seven-eights yesterday in one of the closest and best rowed races of the season. Leading at the finish by about a quarter of a length of open water the 1923 men won the right to represent the University in the class race with Yale on May 20. In view of a slight head wind the time for the race--10 minutes and 32 seconds--was very fast and Coach Brown was well satisfied with the showing and the prospect for the contest with Yale.

The Juniors jumped into a half length lead at the start and then settled down to a well rowed 29 while the 1924 boat rowed at about 31. All the way down the first mile the two crews kept this distance between them with first one and then the other spurting in an endeavor to increase or close up the gap.

At the Harvard Bridge Matthews raised the beat and pulled out a lead of a length and a half by the end of the Henley distance. With this much distance to make up in the last part of the race the Sophomores seemed definitely out of it, but Hoover raised the stroke last stretch it was anybody's race. A final spurt gave the Juniors a victory by just a little more than a length.

Coach Brown announced after the race that there might be some changes in the 1923 combination before next Saturday. A Weld and a Newell crew have been selected from the rest of the class material. After races between these club eights, a third University crew to race in the American Henley on May 27 will be chosen.