FARM BLOC PLANS TO PUT AGRICULTURE ON PAR WITH INDUSTRIES

PRESENT PROGRAM INCLUDES FIVE DEFINITE OBJECTS

"When I take food production figures for all New York, and find that all that is produced in that section in one year will not feed the population of that same section for longer period than one week, I conclude that the East is interested in the food production of the West". That is the answer Congressman L. J. Dickinson, recognized head of the "Farm Bio", gave to a CRIMSON interviewer recently when asked in what way the agricultural legislation affected the eastern states.

"Farming", continued Mr. Dickinson, "must be placed on a sound economical basis and surrounded with such legislative safeguards as will place it on a par with industrial occupations, and this, if you please, is the program of the agricultural bloc."

Five Definite Objects

Mr. Dickinson stated that the "Bloc" was trying to accomplish in so far as it is possible through legislation, five definite objects which he outlined as follows: "First and foremost it is fundamental that the United States become a self-feeding nation. This involves sufficient tariff protection on agricultural products, and the Bloc has to some extent accomplished this.

"Secondly, we must revolutionize transportation so as to permit the free exchange of our produce from one locality to another. In the past, the whole theory of rate-making has been discriminatory, against the Middle West. This condition must change before there can be a beneficial interchange of produces.

"Thirdlyl, all the financial machinery of our Government has been formulated around the commercial and industrial securities of our country. This condition the 'Bloc' has been attempting to remedy though a commodity financing law suitable to the producer's need. This together with a representative on the Federal Reserve Board acquainted with their needs, will give the farmers of the country courage to plant again and finance another crop.

Try to Eliminate Middlemen

"And in the fourth place, through the Grain Futures bill the agricultural group has tried to enable the farmer to cut out the commission man and the middle man, the warehouse man, the grain gambler, the curb broker. These men have always shown themselves more interested the welfare of themselves than in the producer.

"Lastly, the 'Farm Bloc' has dealt with taxation during the past year on the principle that this Government cannot afford to transfer the burdens of the was from the profits of the few who can afford to pay many of whom secured their wealth from war profits, to the backs and belies of the messes now struggling under adverse conditions to keep body and soul together.

"Agrculture must have a future program. It can be made advantageous to the East. The cause of the 'Farm Bloc' is not to advance a few combined political office holders, it is a National economic program involving the food and clothing happiness and welfare of our entire population, and in which the East should cooperate".