RECORDS FAVOR YALE FRESHMEN IN TRACK MEET WITH CRIMSON

BLUE APPEARS TO HAVE EDGE IN ALMOST ALL EVENTS

Although the Freshman track team is one of the strongest in recent years, it will face this afternoon at New Haven an Eli yearling team which has enormous strength in every event, and which should, on a basis of past records, push the Crimson to the very utmost. While comparative scores are perhaps more significant in track than in any other sport, it frequently happens that the outcome of a meet cannot be accurately judged by this means. Such is the case today. The Freshmen have encountered only Andover, which defeated them by a score of 81 5-6 to 44 1-6, while the only criterion of the Eli yearlings' ability is their meet with Springfield, which they won by 109 to 26 and their 64 1-2 to 55 1-2 win over Princeton 1925 last Saturday.

Supposing Andover and Springfield to be approximately even, these figures give a decided edge to the Blue. However, the Andover team is one of the best in years, and there is every reason to believe that Yale would not have fared as well against the schoolboys as it did against Spring-field. Still, on the basis of comparative times, and records made in preparatory schools, the Yale Freshman seem to have the edge, although surprises are frequent in track, and it is possible that the yearlings will offer strong competition to the Blue team.

Yale Strong in Sprints

The sprints are not promising from a Crimson point of view. Comins, the Eli crack runner, is capable of 10 1-5 seconds in the shorter dash, and 22 seconds in the 220-yard event. This is better than any of the Crimson entries have shown up to the present time. Murphy should win second place in the 100-yard event, with Field and de Rham batting for third place with Page, another Eli who has done good time. The best Crimson bet to nose out Comins in the longer dash is Hull, with deRham a possibility for third place over Funk, who scored for the Elis against Princeton 1925 last Saturday.

The prospects for a Crimson win in the 440-yard run are even less promising than in the sprints. Geilfuss, the best of the Elis, has covered the distance in 49 9-10 seconds, a good deal faster time than either Kent or J. H. Smith have done so far. In this event, as in many others. the success of the Crimson runners depends on the ability to win second and third places. Smith should be able to beat out Hodgkins, the other Yale entry.

Smith, Cutcheon, and Jones will carry the burden of Crimson success in the 880-yard run. Jones, who was captain of the Exeter track team last year, has an excellent chance of beating Page, but the race for second place between Smith and Cutcheon of the yearlings, and Gibbs of Yale 1925 promises to be a close and thrilling battle.

The mile and two-mile races are uncertain. Chapin may take part in either one of these, and should score first in whichever one he enters. Cutcheon, whose running has improved greatly in recent practice sessions, is another potential Crimson victor in the long runs. Friedlander and Greeley are the best Blue entries for the mile, while Tracy and Whittlesy are possible Eli point-scorers in the eight laps.

Durant is the best Eli to line up with Fletcher and Clark. the most promising Crimson entries in the 120-yard high hurdles. Fletcher won the event against Andover but Durant with the reputation of being the best yearling fence taker at New Haven in years will probably break the tape. The story in the low hurdle race will be much the same except that Hull will be added to the lists of Crimson entries, and should make Durant extend himself.

Comine, the star Eli sprinter. is logical choice for first in the broad-jump, with Murphy sure to run him a close second. Both teams are weak in the high jump, but the result will be close. between Annan of Yale, and Ellovich and Greeley of the Crimson yearlings. The general consensus of opinion gives the edge to Greeley, with Annan and Ellovich placing second and third.

The weight events promise an even break, with Captain Dunker of the yearlings a probable winner in the shot-put. Bench should come close to him, while Hallowell is the best crimson prospect for third place. The hammer-throw, on the other hand, seems sure to go to the Elis, with Lufkin the most likely winner, and Theopold and Earle, a promising Eli, sure to come close to tying for second place.

The new events, the javelin and discus, are both potential Crimson victories, with Bourne a probable winner in the former event over Bench, who seems unlikely to heave the discus as far as Dunker. With MacLaughlin the only entry, the prospects of a Crimson victory in the pole-vault are not bright, since Carpenter and Hopkins of Yale have both done better than the average.