TO GIVE COURSES IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION

To be Offered This Year in Conjunction with Regular Summer School of Arts and Sciences and Education--Mr. W. H. Geer to be in Charge

Aiming to meet the growing demand for properly qualified directors and teachers of physical education, the University will give this summer a large number of courses in physical education in conjunction with its regular Summer School of Arts and Sciences and Education, which will be in session from July 10 to August 19.

Mr. W. H. Geer, director of physical education at the university, will be in charge of the course, and among the additions to the teaching staff this year will be Mr. Alfred Brodbeck, physical director of the Cincinnati Gymnasium and Athletic Club, and Professor H. E. Hamlin '15 of Simmons College. There will be fourteen other instructors and number of student assistants, and the enrollment is expected to exceed to exceed that of 1921, the 35 the year of Harvard summer courses in physical education, when 284 student representing 33 different states were registered.

Value of Athletics Recognized

Speaking of the need of such instruction Mr. Geer said today. "Twenty-eight states now have laws providing for health and physical education in elementary and secondary schools. This legislation has been enacted during the last five years. College are also placing more emphasis on this phase of education. While many college presidents have considered the problems surrounding intercollegiate athletic completion of sufficient importance to warrant the holding of several conferences during the past few months, it is rather significant that all have recognized the educational and moral as well as physical values of athletics.

"There is a need in our schools and college for physical education programs that include athletics for all. The demand for men and women who can teach, organize and supervise plan games, and general athletic activator for school and college activities for school and college student exceeds the preset rather limited supply of qualified candidates."

The University summer courses have been arranged especially for instructor engaged in teaching during the regular school year and for students who wish to supplement the preparation they may have received in colleges or professions schools. They will be divided into theory courses and practice courses. Athletic coaching course, which are part of the practice courses, will include football, baseball, basketball and field an track athletics.

A possible innovation among the elective practice courses will be a course in eurhythmies. It is stated at the University that this course will be given in there is a sufficient demand for it.