INARTICULATE

The resolution opposing the undue emphasis on football passed by the annual conference of the Eastern Intercollegiate Newspaper Association is a certain indication that dissatisfaction with the present condition of the game is not confined to Yale, Princeton, and the University or to the colleges of Western Massachusetts. Twenty institutions, including all the larger colleges in the northeastern section of the country, were represented by delegates, in most cases the editors-in-chief or business managers of the newspapers. It was a thoroughly representative gathering, including athletes as well as undergraduate journalists, and the resolution reflected a sentiment that, although indefinite and inarticulate, was at the same time general.

This resolution is interesting first, because it is still another indication that dissatisfaction with the present status of football exists among undergraduates; second, because it is almost worthless as a means of getting specific results. Its very vagueness is proof of the fact that the problems of various institutions differ greatly; that a definite solution can not be reached by unified action. General meetings of college presidents or undergraduate representatives crystallize opinion; beyond that little is accomplished. The ultimate goal is a reform, national in scope, which will be brought about only by measures adopted by individual institutions to meet their particular problems.