Y. M. C. A. WILL CONDUCT SPECIAL EUROPEAN TOUR

Forty-Eight College Juniors Will Study Social, Economic, and Religious Conditions--Attempt Will be Made to Represent All States

The International Committee of the Young Men's Christian Association has announced through Phillips Brooks House that it will conduct a European Travel Group this summer. This group is to be composed of 48 men, if possible, one from every state in the Union. All applicants should be Juniors in College and not less than 21 years of age. In addition to this, they must be students of more than ordinary ability, and Christian leaders of considerable experience.

The purpose of this plan is to show these students the social, economic, and religious conditions which prevail in Europe today, in order to create a closer bond of friendship with the students of Europe, and to provide a basis for the foundation of Christian internationalism. The group will be under the leadership of Dr. H. C. Gossard, Senior Field Secretary of the Y. M. C. A., and a member of the Industrial service group which was conducted by Mr. Sherwood Eddy last summer. He is a teacher of note, and a profound student of social and industrial conditions in Europe. Among his other duties, he will help the members of the group to see the actual conditions existing among students in those countries in which the World's Student Christian Federation is carrying on relief work.

The program will call for a certain amount of special preparatory work before coming to New York, where the trip will start, and for a training course during the days on shipboard. The subject of this preliminary study will be the political and economic conditions in Europe, as nearly as they can be understood from a distance. This work is intended to form a background against which the conditions, as they really are, can be more clearly seen and understood. The program calls for an extensive tour of Europe, including stops at the principal cities, where the party will meet leaders of political and economic thought, and get from them a great deal of first-hand information, with which they will supplement their reading.

The arrangements for the trip are under the direction of Mr. Conrad Hoffman, Executive Secretary of the World's Student Christian Federation. A national committee will have charge of the selection of men. Each member must cover all his own expenses on the trip, which will vary from $500 to $700. Arrangements have been made so that some of the men may travel in the steerage either on the way over, or on the way back, so that a closer study of the conditions facing immigrants may be made.