NUMEROUS ACTIVITIES INDICATE SUCCESS OF HARVARD MISSION WORK AT ROBERT COLLEGE, CONSTANTINOPLE

Dramatic, Musical, and Religious Work Directed by Professor G. P. Hayes '20--Highly Developed Athletic Life of College Unusual

The following article is the report of Professor G. P. Hayes '20, who has been the representative of the Harvard Mission of Phillips Brooks House during the past year at Robert College, Constantinople. Mr. Hayes is a Professor of English at Robert College, and has been in charge of the social service work among the students.

The dramatic activities of the semester have centered about Dr. Watson's readings from Shakespeare and the activities of the Hissar Players. Dr. Watson has given two readings from Shakespeare: the first part of "Henry IV" and "Twelfth Night." At the first meeting of the Hissar Players Mr. Reade gave a talk on contemporary French drama, speaking especially of the work of Paul Claudel. At the second meeting members of the club read Hauptmann's "Sunken Bell," which was prefaced by a short account of contemporary German drama given by Dr. Watson. Paul Claudel's "L'Annon ce Faits a Marie" was read at the third meeting of the Hissar Players.

The big dramatic effort of the semester was the production of Barrier's "The Admirable Crichton" on Twelfth Night, January 6. The play was repeated at the American Sailors' Club in the city a week later at the dedication of the new sailors' gymnasium. Half of the cast was composed of English members of the Hissar Players. The high artistic excellence of the performances was largely due to Dr. Watson who, besides taking the part of the English aristocrat, Lord Loani, coached and directed the play.

Musical Season Active

The musical season has been a particularly full one. Professor Estes, head of the musical department, has given several organ recitals on Sunday afternoons. The Russian "Symphony Orchestra gave one concerts in the city, which members of the college community attended. The Annual Yuletide Recital given by Professor Estes and the Constantinople College and Robert College Chorus included selections from Bach, Handel and Dubois. The chapel was unable to seat the large crowd that came to this service. The college was fortunate in hearing a recital by the well known Russian planist and composer, Mr. Bortkiewicz.

The intellectual life of the college community is fostered by the monthly meetings of the College Club to which all the college graduates in the community belong. Papers on various fields of research are read by different professors. Professor Dike of the Physics Department spoke on "Telephoning Through Space," Professor Morgan of the Economics Department on "Some Phases of the Problem of Population," and Dr. Post on "Surgery in America Today."

Three numbers of the college paper, "The Record," have appeared so far this year.

Many in Discussion Groups

About ninety students are enrolled in voluntary religious discussion groups. The classes are led by members of the college staff, one group being organized for each college. Curriculum Bible study is prescribed for all students and in view of this fact the enrollment in voluntary groups is rather encouraging. The text books used in some of these classes are "The Meaning of Service," "Student Standards of Action," "A Book of Proverbs" and "Life at its Best." These groups include the preparatory students. In one of these classes of younger boys they are studying biographies of heroes in medicine, in business, in exploration, etc.

Community Prayer Meetings

For the community, prayer meeting is held every Thursday evening at Dr. Gates' home. One member of the community gives a talk for half an hour, and the younger members such as the tutor are often chosen to do this. The service is completed with prayer and the singing of hymns. For the members of the staff Dr. Gates conducts a Bible class each Sunday. The subject for the year is "Old Testament Prophets." The chapel services, which the resident students are required to attend, are conducted by Dr. Gates, Professor Huntington, and Professor Black in rotation.

The highly-developed athletic life of the college is one respect in which Robert College surpasses the French schools of the city. Association football as played every afternoon throughout the fall, and keen rivalry is developed through the interclass contests. The

Upper Academy won the championship by defeating the Engineers in the last game of the season by the score of 1-0. The "varsity," plays games with teams from the city, the English troops having several teams. During winter the large gymnasium is in constant use from ten in the morning till them at night with compulsory "gym" classes and basketball games. Here again class rivalry works up the students to a high pitch of excitement. A series of games is being played with the Pera Y. M. C. A. which is closed contested. One of the great needs of the students is a swimming pool, the Bosphorus being out of the question in winter. There is a movement on foot to build an asphalt tennis court for the students. Such a court could be played on most of the year in this climate, where there is little snow but much rain in the winter and spring.

Mr. Stockdale, the new head of the Commercial Department, has organized a Commercial Forum which is addressed by-weekly by prominent business men from the city. The Political Science Forum is a similar organization which discusses political questions. One of the most interesting talks before this club was made by an American who had just come from an investigation of conditions at Angora, the headquarters of the Kemalist Turks.

One of the most active and beneficial organizations of the college is the Y. M. C. A. The "Y" puts on a weekly cinema show, which is brought from the city. At present the boys are all ago over the French version of "The Three.Musketeers" which is being shown here serially. At the end of each month the "Y" puts on a show for those students who spend their monthly holiday at the college. These shows have provided some of the best entertainment of the year. There has been a mock court trial, a one-act melodrama called "A Game of Chess," and a gymnastic exhibition, among other attractions.

Operates Community House

One of the most practical things which the "Y" has been carrying on for the past three years has been the Hissar Boys Club. The Y. M. C. A. shares with the Hissar Charity Association the expense of operating a community house in the college village of Roumeli Hissar. Six of the college students go down each week and meet with a group of village boys. Because of the language difficulty these groups are national groups. The club leaders are being coached by Mr. Heddon, City Secretary of Boys' Work, in a fortnightly forum on the leadership of boys. It is easier to carry forward a serious program of debates and discussions with a group for these youngsters than with American boys. They are also keen for athletics.

Informal Sunday Meetings

The Y. M. C. A. is responsible for an informal meeting on Sunday evenings. This is held round the fireplace in Social Hall. A student always leads the meeting and gives an opportunity to those in the audience to pick their favorite hymns. The speakers are from the college staff or from the mission societies or the "Y" in the city. The attendance has varied this year from fifty to one hundred. The boys really like these meetings and are glad for a chat after the last song. Occassionally the committee gets generous and serves chestnuts of pop-corn after the service.

On Saturday mornings the last period is reserved for the branch meetings of the "Y", when the Greek, Armenian, and Bulgarian Associations meet and hear addresses in the vernacular. It is easier to secure students to speak in these meetings where they speak their own language and are among their fellow-countrymen. Once a month the branch meetings are omitted and a Federation meeting is held, at which time a prominent speaker is secured and reports are read and business of interest to the entire membership is discussed.

Orphans Enjoy Christmas

One of the best things the college "Y" has done during the school year has been arranging for a Christmas party for orphans children. After a careful survey the committee selected the Armenian orphanage for boys, a Greek home for begger children, and two Rusian homes, to be their guests. One hundred and fifty-five children under the age of twelve arrived at the college on the afternoon of January 5, the Greek Orthodox Christmas day. The college fellows were splendid hosts to the youngsters. Games were played; then the "kiddies" enjoyed three reels of a "movie" comedy. Then each orphanage performed a stunt for the benefit of the rest. Several groups sang songs. One of the little Russian boys in the uniform of a Junior Boy Scout recited very impressively a poem which was an expression of gratitude to the foreigners who had adopted and befriended the refugee peoples of Russia. About 4.30 the ladies of the community served refreshments to the children. When they returned to the auditorium the Christmas trees were lighted and Santa Claus arrived with a toy for each child. All who had a share in entertaining these poor orphan "kiddies" felt a peculiar joy as they saw them go away saw them go away happy, clutching a doll or a toy or a book.

Financial Campaign Conducted

A few weeks ago the executive committee of the "Y" decided to conduct a financial campaign to raise funds for the relief of children of all nationalities in Constantinople. Speeches, posters, and a committee of twenty-five workers were sufficiently effective to raise about $400. Some of this money will be used for food for a thousand Turkish refugee children who are living in old soldiers' barracks with no opportunity for schooling and insucient food to keep them healthy. Part of the money will be given to the International Committee in Constantinople which is feeding, as extensively as limited funds permit, the Russian refugees stranded in this city. The rest of the money will send Greek, Armenian, and Jewish children to school. These children are in a more lamentable condition than orphans who at least get food and some schooling. As far as possible, groups of Robert Colleges students will be made responsible for the children who have been sent to native schools through the generosity of students here. The response of students and community to this appeal exceeded the expectations of the committee, which had determined on 200 liras (about $125) as a goal. Many students gave very generously. One Armenian orphan, who has been sent to the college, was able to raise five liras last summer, which represented is entire capital; his contribution was one lira. A Russian student who earns a lira and a half a week by lugging the cinema films back and forth to town, gave one lira.

Professor Scipio of the Engineering Department is the chairman of a committee which is seeking to relieve the unemployment situation in the city. Under his direction a plan is being worked out to employ several thousand laborers in repairing the streets of the city. The Russians in particular will be given an opportunity to work on the streets, but the unemployed of all nationalities will be given an opportunity to work enough to keep themselves alive.

Dr. Watson is president of the University Club, which is responsible for the relief work just mentioned. The meetings of the club are held once a month at the Hotel de Londres, and are preceded by a dinner, at which the members of the college staff have an opportunity to meet the business, professional, and military leaders of the city representing many different nationalities. Some speaker of not usually addresses the meeting. General Wrangle being the most distinguished of these whom the club has entertained this year. General Wrangel made a statement as to the condition of the Russian refugees in the city and thanked the many individuals and agencies which had befriended the refugees from Russia.

The most distinguished visitor to the college this year has been Mr. Frank Vanderlip, who with his wife has been making a study of European conditions. Mr. Vanderlip spoke in chapel in the subject of internationalism in a discriminating and searching manner which immediately won the respect of the student body. Mrs. Vanderlip made a short plea for the education of women in then Near East.

The celebration of Thanksgiving took on a peculiarly American character at the college. During the service held in the chapel Dr. Fisher spoke briefly about the Puritan messages and the Pilgrims. The singing of the national anthem brought to a close an impressive ceremony in memory of the traditions and ideas of a far distant land.

Christmas Carols Sung

On Christmas Eve it is the custom here for the sophomores to go about to the various dormitories and to the houses of the community and sing the Christmas carols which they have been practising for weeks. This year Christmas Eve was calm and clear and the ancient carols,