INVITATION REGATTA COMPLETED SATURDAY

Second M. I. T. Yearling Eight Trails 1925 Combinations-150-Pound Race Goes to Crimson Freshman-Emerson Wins Event for Carroll Cup

In spite of a stiff wind which made the surface of the Basin all but unnavigable, the final series of races in the University Regatta were run off according to schedule Saturday, closing one of the most successful affairs of its kind ever held in Cambridge.

The second Freshman eight, rowing at 3 o'clock against M. I. T. 1925 B crew and the third Crimson yearling boat, displayed its superior power of stroke to good advantage by crossing the line two lengths in the lead. Freshman B gained second place, while the Tech second Freshman crew trailed by a matter of five lengths over the mile course.

In what was perhaps the best race of the afternoon, Coach Bert Haines' first yearling 150-pound won a close decision from the Tech light-weight 1925 combination. The Crimson crow led the procession over the entire course, and finally succeeded in retaining three quarters of a length's advantage on their rivals. The Freshman 150-pound B shell finished third.

Emerson Wins Carroll Cup

The Carroll cup race for single scullers, held at the close of the afternoon's program, was a sensational struggle throughout. E. D. Emerson E.S. winning finally by a scant quarter length in 7 minutes 30 seconds. H. E. Feiring '23, in a tremendous spurt at the finish, nearly succeeded in overhauling Emerson, but his bid for victory was spoiled when one of the motor boats went across, the course, churning up the water and causing him to lose two strokes. J. P. Whittal '25 was third by a matter of three lengths with G. S. Nutt '24, winner of last year's event, in fourth place.