EXETER DOWNED IN TENNIS

Crippled Team Defeated by Yearlings by 7-1 Score--Will Meet M. I. T. Freshman This Afternoon

The Freshman tennis players defeated a crippled Exeter team on the Academy's courts yesterday afternoon by a score of 7-1, the only two sets which the yearlings lost being included in the single match going to the schoolboys. Most of the contests were one-sided, the notable exception being the third singles, in which it took three hard-fought sets before Perkins of Exeter finally defeated Dixon.

The summary

Singles.--Ingraham (H) defeated Smith (E), 6-2, 6-1; Briggs (H) defeated Pitman (E), 6-1, 11-9; Perkins (E) defeated Dixon (H), 8-6, 4-6, 7-5; Manning (H) defeated Collins (E), 6-1, 6-3; Bondi (H) defeated Ross (E), 7-5, 6-4; Rosen (H) defeated Allen (E), 6-4, 6-2.

Doubles.--Ingraham and Dixon (H) defeated Smith and Ross (E), 6-1, 6-2; Briggs and Greely (H) defeated Pitman and Collins (E), 6-1, 6-3.

Final Score: Harvard Freshman 7, Exeter 1.

While the Exeter match was to have been the final encounter before the team meets Yale on Saturday, the management has arranged a match with the M. I. T. yearlings for this afternoon. The Crimson is the favorite, having defeated Exeter by a larger margin than the Tech team did. The match will take place at 4 o'clock on the Divinity courts.

The Freshman line-up will be as follows:

Singles.--1, Ingraham; 2, Briggs; 3, Dixon; 4, Manning; 5, Rosen; 6, Bondi.

Doubles.--1, Ingraham and Dixon; 2, Briggs and Bondi; 3, Manning and Greely.