FORTY-NINE TRACK MEN SELECTED FOR INTERCOLLEGIATES

Chapin and Jones Win Wells Cups--Wansker Captures Trophy in 220--Clark Takes Garcelon Prize

Coach Bingham put his track men through their final work-out before the Intercollegiates yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field. The entire squad picked to compete in the meet will take a complete rest today. Forty-nine men in all will represent the University in the games, Coach Bingham having added three more to the preliminary list after yesterday's trials in the low hurdles. In this event Hauers, already entered in the highs, Thayer, Gordon, and Reycroft will run for the Crimson.

The feature of yesterday's practice was the annual cup races in the mile, 440 and 220-yard events, and the Garcelon hurdle races. Chapin and Jones of the Freshman squad won respectively the Frank Wells '84 cup in the distance run and the S. G. Wells '86 cup in the 440. The L. P. Dodge '08 trophy in the 220 was captured by Wansker. Clark took the Garcelon prize in the high hurdles and Reycroft the trophy in the lows.

Chapin ran the prettiest race of the day in the mile. Starting with a 30-yard handicap he caught Coburn on the last corner and forced ahead at the tape by four yards. Coburn was second, while Cutcheon, running from scratch, finished third in four minutes, 29 3-5 seconds, the best time that any man in the Freshman or University squads, excepting Burke, has done in the mile this year.

In the 440-yard dash C. C. Colt led the field for the first half of the race. At the corner Jones, who started with a 20-yard handicap, passed him and came in a scant yard before Robb. Smith finished third. The time was 50 seconds.

Wansker won the furlong race in 23 2-5 seconds, breaking the tape but two yards in advance of Barker, who took second by two feet from Smith.

In the high hurdles Clark had his own way, while Reycroft took the lows in 26 3-5 seconds with a three-yard lead over Byington.