NET-MEN DEFEAT WILLIAMS

Take All but One Match at Longwood Courts--Only One Goes to Three Sets--Contests Hard-Fought

The University tennis team defeated Williams College Saturday afternoon on the Longwood covered courts 5-1. Williams, although showing a marked improvement over her playing in Friday's match against M. I. T. failed to check the Crimson net-men and while the contests were hard fought, the only match to go into three sets was the one captured by the visitors.

Pfaffman defeated Prescott of Williams 8-6, 9-7, in the best singles match of the day. Both men hit the ball hard, but Pfaffman's superior service and net-play was the deciding factor. Guild, after apparently losing the first set to Cook, rallied and won the match, while Captain Duane, playing in his best form, disposed of Rouse with the loss of but three games.

The first doubles match produced the best tennis of the day.

The summary:

Singles.--Duane (H) defeated Rouse (W), 6-1, 6-2; Pfaffman (H) defeated Prescott (W), 8-6, 9-7; Guild (H) defeated Cook (W), 9-7, 6-1; Bredley (H) defeated Ewing (W), 6-4, 6-3.

Doubles.--Dusne and Pfaffman (H) defeated Rouse and Prescott (W), 6-4, 8-6; Cook and Ewing (W) defeated Bradley and Holmes (H), 5-7, 6-3, 7-5.