FINAL PLANS MADE FOR SUMMER R. O. T. C. CAMP

Artillerymen Will Have Five Weeks of Intensive Training at Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland--Thirty Members of University Will Attend

A complete description of the new location for the summer R. O. T. C. camp at Edgewood, Maryland, was recently received by the Military Department of the University. Originally the camp was to be situated on Montauk Point, Long Island, but there was some difficulty in getting a location and the War Department was therefore forced to change its plans. The camp now decided on will be situated on the reservation of the Edgewood Arsenal, the permanent post and proving grounds of the Chemical Warfare Department. A large portion of the territory is taken up by the chemical plants, railroads, and pipe lines, but there is an area set aside for R. O. T. C. Artillery and infantry units, National Guard troops and R. O. T. C. instructors.

Units from Various Universities

The artillery division will be made up from the organizations from Yale, Princeton, Virginia Military Institute, and the University. Each college is allowed to send to camp only five percent of its men, and the University delegation will be limited to 30 students. Major R. E. D. Hoyle of Yale will be in charge of the camp while Major Parker will be camp executive. Captain Alcott and Captain B. H. Perry will be the other officers from the University Unit who will be instructors at the camp. The latter has recently been assigned by the War Department to the Department of Military Science and will take up his work in Cambridge next fall.

The camp will officially open on June 17, but Juniors and Seniors who are to take advanced work this summer will not be required to attend until June 24. It was first planned to have the camp last until August 1, but it has now definitely been decided to suspend exercises on July 22.

The work this summer will probably follow very closely the curriculum which was used last year. In the first week the students will probably be sent through dismounted drill, consisting of the fundamentals of infantry exercises, and will also take up equitation and pistol practice. In addition there will be elementary drill in both the principles and practice of gunnery.

Artillery Range in Second Week

In the second week the men will be sent to the artillery range to take up actual firing. The basic students, consisting of first and second year men will have instruction in driving while the advanced students are taking up reconnaissance and work with motors.

Schedule for Final Weeks

In the next week, the men will have active work on the range and will continue driving exercises, while the fourth week will include more intensive firing. A long hike is also scheduled in this period. The final week will be spent in barrage fire, hiking, and preparation for closing on July 22.

Edgewood Arsenal is admirably situated for an R. O. T. C. camp. It is located on the main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad twenty miles north of Baltimore on a peninsula eight miles long and about two miles wide. This territory known as Gunpowder Neck, jutts out into Chespeake Bay between the mouths of the Gunpowder and Bush Rivers. The railroad cuts across the entire width of the neck forming the northern boundary of the Arsenal. On all other sides the Arsenal is surrounded by water, affording an excellent opportunity for boating, swimming, and fishing. In addition there are tennis courts, a baseball diamond, and a half mile cinder track, which will be used by the students.

At present it is planned to reserve the time from 3 until 6 o'clock every afternoon for athletics. Last year a feature of the athletic program was the series of intercollegiate pole and pistol matches. If conditions are favorable similar matches will be scheduled again this summer. In addition contests between the various R. O. T. C. organizations and with the outside units will be arranged in baseball, boxing, wrestling, tennis, and track.

Moving Picture Entertainments

For entertainment the command has provided for frequent moving picture entertainments and occasional dances at the post. Moreover, students will be allowed to take week end trips to neighboring cities and towns.

The following men will make up the University delegation: John Adams '25, C. C. Curtis '25, J. E. Fish '23, Joe de Ganahl '25, R. N. Bryan '23, T. E. Graves 3E.S., H. E. Halloran '25, E. D. Hamilton '23, C. D. Hazard '25, W. M. Houghton '22, R. P. Kantor '23, W. S. Lindsley '23, G. B. Lourie '23, W. G. Maclachlan '23, W. L. Maclachlan '23, D. B. MacCollom '24, F. L. Mahady '25, J. P. Merril '23, W. A. Pallme '25, L. R. Ring '22, T. R. Rodgers '23, E. D. Sage '23, C. L. Short '23, H. V. Smart '23, W. N. Snow '25, H. H. Stamler '24, B. W. Swan '23, A. G. Tuckerman '23, S. M. Weld '23, J. A. Westengard '23