HOT AIR

The question of the proper ventilation of recitation rooms has by this time passed from the status of a trite subject to that of a classic one. Nevertheless, we shall not repeat the remark that a college which provides instruction in chemistry, physiology, and hygiene, and which also compels its students to breathe poison for several hours a day, may perhaps, with some show of reason, he accused of inconsistency. . . .We shall not suggest that some means of ventilation other than by the windows might be provided: nor shall we hint that the students and instructors who regulate the temperature and salubrity of a room to suit them selves may possibly be blameworthy for their disregard of the health and comfort of others. These things have been said before, and it is our purpose to refute such cruel and groundless insinuations. We are informed. . . .that the purpose in keeping the windows closed is to prevent the escape of the bad air and foul odors, and the terrible mortality among the inhabitants of Cambridge which would inevitably result.) The CRIMSON would be the last to desire any such terrible fate as that of being compelled to breathe air from Harvard 6 to befall the worthy citizens of Cambridge; but we desire, nevertheless, to suggest a way in which our present trouble might be obviated. . . . Let a powerful steam-engine be erected in the basement of Sever, with air-pumps of large capacity attached: let each student be provided with submarine apparatus, such as is used by divers; on entering the recitation room let him make connection with the pipes from the basement. By this means any one will in all probability be able to endure the air of our recitation rooms. February 24, 1882.

The Harvard Co-operative Society starts out with flying colors. It had been feared that Harvard Indifference, that ancient foe who has already in his collection such a choice assortment of corpses of college enterprises and societies, would lay away this one also in its capacious refrigerator. But from the large attendance and the interest manifested at the preliminary meeting, it seems certain that the project will secure as fair and complete a trial as its friends can ask. . . .All, then, who have any interest, sentimental or practical, in our release from the extortion of local traders, ought loyally to support the society. Tab>March 10.1882.

A Public-Spirited Senior has purchased a dozen pairs of English sparrows for the yard, and they will soon be colonized in our elm-tress.   April 24, 1874.