THAT LIBERAL EDUCATION

It would be easy to explain the enormous growth in the popularity of English during the past two years in either of two ways. By an ingenious argument it might be demonstrated that rumors about the extension of the tutorial system to the field of English were attracting aspirants; equally conclusively it might be shown that the disadvantages consequent upon the present situation had been exaggerated and that a lack of tutors had not prevented increases which were due to the character of the subject and to the greater liberalism with which it was taught.

But it is of little consequence which of the two arguments is nearer the truth. There is a third explanation which is more appealing than either of the others, for it is based not on hypotheses put on statistics. The subects which, together with English, have gained greatest ground during the past three years are almost invariably cultural--History, History and Literature, Fine Arts, the Classics. On the other hand such more exact fields of concentration as Mathematics, Biology, and Geology, not to speak of Engineering Sciences, have increased in popularity little if at all. So runs the argument. And if it is not stressed too much it seems to offer a sound explanation for the developments of the past few years.

From the Freshman meeting in the Union to the Baccalaureate Sermon in the Chapel the Harvard student is advised and directed as to his course of life and study. But there are few remarks which are poured into his jaded ears more often than one to the effect that Harvard College is not a more training school or technical laboratory, but a center for broad and liberal education. Apparently the advice has borne some fruit and certainly Harvard does not seem to be in danger, at least as far as choice of studies is concerned, of descending to the department store type of education. If together with Arnold we believe that Culture is "To know the best that has been said and thought in the world", it is easy to understand why business men as well as educators suggest the general and cultural course as the best preparation for life and why students seem to choose it.